Thursday 12 July 2012

Layers,let love fly

Hi, and welcome back.
Over at Simon Says Stamp And Show this week their challenge is 'Layered'.  This was one of those projects that started well and then I hit the wall so to speak before figuring out how to finish it off.

I started by getting a piece of chip board cut 10''x10''.The base layers are a mix of techniques I picked up from Andy Skinner. The torn paper was a sheet of different vintage adds, I coloured this up by applying distress inks to my craft mat,misting with lots of water and laying the paper face down into it. I then dried it with an Iron and tore it to shape to layer on top of the other two finishes.  I wanted to get the effect of a bit of wall that had been covered over with different finishes over the years and was being torn back now.                                                                                                                                            

I stamped over the crackle effect and added stains to age the paint and add layers ;)  I added some small pins to make it appear like a wooden sign.In the other corner over the copper Patina I added a Tim book plate with a Key hole inside, this was distressed with alcohol inks,then  I stamped up some acetate with a Tim Quote and the Tim pen nibs, I also layered on top of the stamp one of his pen nib embellishments. the acetate has been attached using some panel pins and is floating above chipboard/canvas.  the pic does not do this justice, If anyone knows how to take pics of acetate please let me know :)

The heart was next. It was a plain wooden heart , i coloured it with fired brick distress stain and covered it with red embossing powders and then a couple of layers of UTEE, added some vintage photo re inker to give it the dark spots and texture. It was finished off with a Tim tag, The wings are a die cut from Sizzix, I coloured them with distress ink pads and embossed them with a texture folder and finished distressing them with vintage photo.
The 33 c sticker was added to a bit of a cardboard box to give it depth and distressed. I added the key to the top off this as well.
Finally I needed some words, I printed them off onto card stock, aged them up and stuck them down with foam pads to raise them off of the wood base.
I have tried to go for a piece that has several layers and is quite 3D.
This was quite a challenge, the back ground came together really quick and I really like it, I was then stuck for a couple of days trying to figure out how to use the heart.Hopefuly this works.
Thanks for sticking with the reading, a lot of bumf again.  sorry.

I will also be entering this into My Mums Craft Shop Challenge where the challenge is No cards allowed.
and at  That Craft Place where the challenge is Anything goes.
I am also going to enter it into the Sir Stampalot  challenge where the challenge is Whats your crafty passion.
This piece is the sort of thing I really like to make, A shabby/vintage look in mixed media, I love to use texture and depth as well.

Mark xx

















27 comments:

  1. This is to die for... glorious collisions of images, text and textures. I think it's so worth that wait while it works out what it wants to do and then you let it. Acetate layer is genius. This is what I'd call art - and I'm perfectly happy to do the reading!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oh my this is just awesome Mark!!...loVe your layers your colours your textures, loVe it all & that heart, can't take my eye's off it...love how your mind is thinking...a superb make, totally commands your attention...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice attention to detail, as for photographing acetate, sorry never had much success!
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and that wall are good friends! Looks like you broke it down very succesffully! Love your texture and details! The heart is beautiful. Lovely project! Glad you joined us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great layers there Mark. Lots of lovely layers and textures which are lovely to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is amazing!!! wow , blown away and dont know what else to say! simply stunning piece! trace x thanks for stopping by and letting me know about the win..was super chuffed and had not seen, thanks trace x think you are onto a winner with this!!!wow

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful , your heart is stunning. Francesca xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so glad you showed that last piccy, it really gives an idea of just how 3D this piece is. Really lovely, worth the effort and such WOW factor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow Mark, this is absolutely stunning! You have such a wonderful imagination and you seem to be able to translate that into art. The heart is stunning, the layering is amazing, I love it all. A fabulous piece of art. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. An amazing piece Mark, love everything about it especially the heart.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like the background, so much detail in it. The floating panel of acetate is great too. I hope you are proud of this, it is fab.
    Laura
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that floating panel Mark, fabulous!! The heart is pretty special too! Trish xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant. Another cool project with acetat, i really like. The different textures are amazing and the heart is a stunner!
    xo Elly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mark this is a fabulous creation with fab techniques and colours. Good luck in your challenges. TFS Annie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you everyone for the lovely comments and thank you for stopping by, It means the world to me to have your feedback.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for popping by to see my desk! Your work is very unique and distinctive. I will be back to look again! jenx 135

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent piece of work Mark, so different and eye catching. Thanks for joining us at Stampalot this month.
    Hugs
    pinky

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is amazing! Love everything about it. Like the piece of artwork you commented about on my blog (the sailor scaling the cliffs that is outside the Lifeboat Station at Moelfre)when you see it you just want to touch it. I stood for ages just touching that sculpture.

    Neet

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fantastic! Love the red heart, the background and all the wonderful details. Thank you for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card , Lovely colours

    Thanks for joining us for our Crafty passion challenge over at
    Sir Stampalot this month and good luck!

    Hugs
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Great to see how you build up your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love Andy Skinners techniques very much! That heart is incredible! It looks so real! That whole canvas is fantastic! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous original work of art - beautiful x
    Thanks for playing along with our anything but a card challenge over at MMCS & good luck x
    ((hugs)) Suzie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful dimensional creation. Thanks so much for joining the Sir Stampalot challenge this month, Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete