Saturday 14 July 2012

Haunted Design House Challenge

A last minute dash to the finish line this week, The challenge over at Haunted Design House is 'Butchered Blueprint' I have not tried a blue print/sketch challenge before and it took me a little while to get my head around it.This is the blueprint.
HDH141 butchered blueprint - SatCanI decided to do one of the pages in my Little fat book.The pages are thick chipboard/card.It is something I started a few weeks back for a different challenge but with my vagabond dying I could not finish it in time,so I tore all the back ground paper out and left only the Image,Another picture of a painting by Mark Ryden from the Blood collection.This was framed with thick card and I used crocco crackle glaze to give it texture. these two elements are the circle and the flame type bit from the sketch. the dagger is one of Tims spiky things (not really sure what they are called) I linked some chain through this and added a sentiment that reads 'Destiny 5890' thought it was quite fitting to have the word destiny with a pic of a baby. The Tim tape is the spiky element on the edge of the blueprint I added some suede thong attached with the tiny staples for the final part of the sketch.
Ok I have used a fair bit of 'artistic licence' with this design. hope it counts.

I did the inside of the cover as well (not part of the challenge) but it needed to be done. I used some of Tims paper and distressed it up.

Here is a pic of the cover of the book, this was done a few weeks ago as well and posted, but it all goes together.

Thank you for stopping by.  Mark x


A big thanks to Crom for the help she gave me in understanding what to do with a sketch.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, I did nip over to see what the DT did over at Haunted Design House and oh some of them are quite macabre! I really like the flame colour you have used and I think you have followed the design pretty much to the letter, so it's a brilliant first attempt at following a sketch. Good luck with the challenge. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the whole thing. Looks good

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are upping the competition over there quite considerably, Mark! This is amazing. I love it, and I love the idea of a little fat book. I gotta look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find sketches / blue prints veery hard tonuse and think you have done a greatbjob in interpreting this one, well done for your latest wins at haunted house! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say without repeating myself over and over? I don't know any single reason why it shouldn't count. You've succeeded perfectly. It's a stunning piece, as ever, I love the vibrant orange/red/whatever as well as the whole take on the blueprint. I'm generally in awe of most of mixed media works I've seen so far, but I must admit they also discourage me to take part in some challenges. But that's something I must learn to cope with :-)
    Have a great Sunday. Best, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just superb Mark. The sketch can be seen so clearly in your interpretation. You have such a bold use of colour and design and it is quite stunning. Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great piece of artwork. I really love it!
    Greetings from Cologne
    Best, Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the fat book and the idea that you turned the sketch upside down. Off to check out the other challenge entries-they have some difficult competition to beat with your entry.
    Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really talented! You worked out that sketch in an awesome way! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am inspired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (:o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty awesome for a first time sketcher :-) That really is a macabre looking baby isn't it ?!! Great project Mark and fabulous to have you join us this week at Haunted Design House :-D x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you did with the sketch Mark. I can see we're going to have to keep on our toes with you on the scene now ;) Well done. Thank you for sharing with us at MM @HDH this week

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work, Mark! I love the background and the crackle effect on the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...a superb piece Mark, loVing that rich lava like orange, such an atmospheric colour, your image is a tad spooky for me but the frame around it is rather special with it's crater like cracks...a superb make Mark with so much attention to detail...Mel :)
    So glad the Tag arrived safely and that you liked it...xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay Mister! This is stunning!!! Perfect use of the provided sketch, and you interpreted it in such a brilliant way! We love seeing your creations at HDH every week, and we are so glad you found us. You inspire me to create dimensionally and to take one of Andy's courses very soon. I have to learn these techniques!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have got to be kidding me!!!! This is unbelievable insanely brilliant. Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mark, your work just blows me away! Love this little fat book! I remember the cover from a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! Now the interior...wow! The crackled effect is cool! I love that you're not afraid to experiment with texture and just see what happens. I'm a fan of your style! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! Brilliant job with the sketch there, sir! It's so much more fun when you don't follow it EXACTLY. Your creativity is amazing and I'm with Glo, you're a fab inspiration and I wanna be just like you when I grow up...well, maybe not just like you. I rather enjoy being a girl, LOL. Thanks for joining us each week at HDH. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  19. I missed this while I was out of town last weekend, but I saw on HDH that you were one of the Grew Two - how wonderful. This is seriously stunning work - so detailed and artistic and just plain fun!!! Your take on the sketch is brilliant. I was wondering what you would do on this one and you did not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete