Saturday 8 December 2012

Baby Doll ;)

Hello again and thank you for stopping by. today I have for you a porcelain dolls head which I have had a little play with to make it look a little less girly ;)
 I was inspired once again by something I saw on Andy Skinners blog. I  am wanting to create something a little bigger around the dolls head but I just do not have the bits and bobs I need so for now I have decorated a box frame for my doll.
 I started by heading to Oxfam where I picked up a horrible doll, went straight home and harvested her for the parts ;) The head was painted with acrylic pain and given a 2 step crackle finish, brown paint was rubbed over the top and wiped away so it would stay in the cracks.
 The light bulb fixture is from a box of car bits that was in the garage. It was mounted onto some card and glues in place to cover the hole in her head,It was given a rust finish that was learnt on Andy Skinners time Worn workshop. I also rusted the bottom, I wanted a chipped rusty enamel look.
 I needed to keep the fram light and simple as the dolls head is quite a heavy piece and has enough colour.
It was base coated in Paper Artsy's fresco acrylic in mushroom and then using deco arts peeled paint finish I top coated with one of Deco arts creamier whites. The Tim Holtz Number was aged up with some alcohol inks. I really love these numbers and can not stop myself from adding them to most things.
The backing paper for the box was cut from plain card, aged using old paper,linen and pumice stone distress ink pads, the images were stamped in pumice stone and frayed burlap. I went for cogs and a wire mesh stamped randomly just to add to the grunge and industrial look. The edge of the paper was distressed with vintage photo and walnut stain just to add more age and depth.

Hope fully she wont freak to many of you out ;)

Thank you so much for stopping by. It really means so much to have you stop by and leave a comment.

I would like to enter this into a couple of challenges.

Smudgy Antics are having an Alter Something challenge.

Crafty Emblies have just switched to an Altered Art challenge blog and they are having a Vintage Shabby Chic challenge.

Over at Raise The Bar they are having a Blue And White challenge. Maybe not what they were thinking? ;)

Frilly And Funkie are having a Light in the Darkness challenge.  The light bulb is my light and what I have done to Dolly is the Darkness lol ;)





29 comments:

  1. Love this....so creepy cool! I love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza!!!! This is fantastic & then some!!! I've seen doll heads used in mixed media before and love the idea of using one as a paperweight. But this is the best I've seen. Love the creepy blue crackle paint. It reminds me of a character from the X-Men films. It also emphasise the wide staring eyes. I have a wonderful charity shop down the road, I'm tempted to go in and see what I can grab :) Brilliant! Px

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh nice, her eyes really pop out at you.
    kyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant piece of creepery! Does she have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Owow... that's an Ow and a Wow - Dolls' heads freak me out at the best of times, and this one has upped that by a factor of 10!! It delights me and freaks me out at the same time... genius paint effect, and her eyes become startling as a result of it; fantastic rusty base too. The frame is fabulous, and I love how she looms out of it at you, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sleep with her in the same room! (Phoebe's artworks in Friends, anybody?) But that degree of impact from a piece (and it'll stay with me) is what sends it into the Art category, I think - stunning work!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upping the creep factor was the goal lol, she will now take pride of place on the bedroom wall. Hope the gf won't mind to much lol

      Delete
  6. I'm so not a fan of creepy dolls but strangely, I love this one Mark! Of course, I seriously adore the blue crackle and the rust that goes without saying! She looks far better blue than skin toned and it almost seems as if she has a purpose sitting in her gorgeous weathered box frame with her bulb - great work Mark!
    Juliaxx
    PS I couldn't sleep in the same room as her though - those eyes would creep me out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing creation Mark. If you take the creepy doll element out of it and look at it as a piece of art it is fabulous. Love the crackle and the lightbulb is a brilliant idea for the Light in the Darkness challenge. I quite like the scary eyes and she wouldn't bother me if she was on my bedroom wall - not sure what that says about me though! Great frame too, really like the whole piece. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! Fantastic and so creepy. Thank you for joining us at Smudgy Antics.
    susan s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy cool Dollie! Those eyes really grab you and hold on.... She'll give old "here's Johnny" a run for his scare factor money! The blue crackle paint with the rust is fab. This really creeps me out but I love it! That's ART!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely Brilliant piece! Wow! I am speechless. I love your work and am a huge fan! Thanks for playing with Smudgy Antics :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Harvesting body parts ! lol looks suitably creepy :)
    Von ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am desperate to know what you have in mind for the rest of this doll Mark... i hope to see many more inspiring pieces featuring other dismembered body parts.
    Love this.... weird... creepy...quirky and perfect for your bedroom wall!
    Thanks for sharing with us at SMUDGY ANTICS this week. Hope you're well... see you back at HDH soon.

    BDx

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cool and artistic, fab work!thank you for sharing at Smudgy Antics this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everybody for the comments, Im glad you seem to like her x

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW Mark, she is amazing and so is your creativity...it’s always such an adventure to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mark, this is beyond awesome. Love the lightbulb coming out of the head - some fantastic ideas blossoming?? Thank you for sharing with us at Smudgy antics this week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alison sent me over to look at your altered doll head (cos I just made one too).....it's cool, love the crackle effect:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. totally love this Mark, really looking forward to seeing what you add to this at a future date. Thanks for sharing with us at Smudgy Antics

    ReplyDelete
  19. ths is so awesome, love what you did to the doll

    thanks for sharing at Smudgy antics and congrats at winning ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your so funny "Less girly" that make me LOL! I think it would be great as like a night light if the bulb worked! I love that color blue you went with. You did and excellent job on your alter something project, Thanks for playing w/ us at Smudgy Antics! I always look fwd, to seeing your art work, just love your twisted mind, it's great!! Congrats on winning the coveted winners badge at Smudgy Antics! Don't you just love the new ones??
    Peace,
    Kristy
    (SA DT)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Creepy cool! Looks like a baby Avatar with that blue! Haven't been around a while as computer been playing up. Look forward to seeing how you build on it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome, Mark!

    Creeps me out just perfectly ;)
    Love that rusting and the bulb on child avatar's head.
    Cool idea!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  23. She is fantabulous! Love the blue crackled head and all your fine details. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kind of creepy but very interesting, I must try something like this!! Thank you for joining our altered art challenge at Crafty-Emblies Challenge Blog.

    Moira
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  25. This one needs to join the Blue Baby Group!!! Love the lightbulb use and perfect for our challenge! Way to think out of the box!!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Friily and Funkie this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very fun, love the idea of the "idea" bulb! Congrats on winning this week's challenge.

    ReplyDelete